So… with the start of Spring (finally!) we thought it might be a good opportunity to conduct some Spring Cleaning in manners department. A refresher on some important modern manners , well it’s perfect timing!
Spring is the time when the Mother Nature rejuvenates herself…so why shouldn’t we?! Let’s start clearing out those closets of misfit manners and Spring into acting and behaving in a more professional and mindful way. In the world of business, it’s not always what you do but how you do it. With one small gesture you can impress, insult, appear cultured and educated, or simply reduce your credibility .
Here are some mannerly actions that will increase your E.Q. (Etiquette Quotient), increasing your confidence and marketability in the world!
Be on time…
Be on time and prepared….what that means in business affairs is 10-15 minutes early and google some pertinent information about the event or speaker. What can happen if you arrive early?
- You may get some face time with decision makers, who are typically early.
- You can take the time to find the best positioning for you in the meeting space.
- You can offer to help – offering assistance may convey your ability to collaborate, which may differentiate you from your peers.
See what this professional hockey player’s lack of timeliness has cost him… Pro Hockey player suspended for lateness
Dining Do’s and Don’ts…
Master the art of dining. It is not about eating with your mouth open or belching at the table…though those infractions are important, there is a much deeper nuance to a business meal, particularly if you want to make the right impression More than 65% of all business is conducted during a meal of some sort. So sorting out best practices is important. So ask yourself…
- When do I RSVP?
- Where do I put my napkin when I stand?
- How to order or should I order a bottle of wine?
- When do I start that business conversation?
Learn more about Dining Etiquette with MMI.
Mindful usage of electronic devices/electronic communication. Many an opportunity has been won or lost based on how we communicate. In this 4G world the lines have gotten more challenging to navigate. So knowing how and when to communicate is critical in maximizing success. Do you know how to communicate between the multitudes of generations in the workplace ? Here are some tips:
- Learning how a company or client prefers to communicate is the first thing. So ask how you should be communicating, you don’t want to be texting when picking up the phone would be more appropriate .
- Knowing when an email has become misinterpreted and knowing what to do about it.
- Respecting the people around you when using your electronic devices. It’s rare to talk to a person without your phone buzzing at least once. So who is most important? That person in front of you or your electronic device buzzing in your pocket? Brain Interrupted
Personal space in a public place…
Being mindful of your surroundings and personal space. I am amazed the amount of people who actually take phone calls in a public restroom or in a cubicle space amongst 20 other cubicle spaces.
- Remember to use your indoor voice when speaking on the phone or with other colleagues in a confined space.
- The office refrigerator should not be considered your personal space…it is communal so treat it that way by clearing out your contributions on a daily basis. Don’t take what is not yours or you may get this note in return.
Do you want more advice on how to improve your E.Q.? Contact us… we will make your Etiquette Spring Cleaning a more pleasurable and profitable task!
Lisa and Demetria
Co-Founders – Mother, May I